[Ti] Ti Paint Repair

Mark C. Langston mark at bitshift.org
Sun Nov 24 09:12:56 PST 2002

On Sun, Nov 24, 2002 at 10:20:24AM +0000, Peter Bell wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I have a question for you...
>
> Is there ANYONE out there who HAS NOT suffered from the paint flaking
> problems which are on this list everyday?
>
> The reason I ask is because my TiBook is around a year old and I am
> wondering if it's feasibly possible to get by WITHOUT AppleCare, as I
> have recently become unemployed and can't really afford it.
> In other words, what are the chances I will suffer from this? I am
> trying to weigh up whether I can chance going without AppleCare, or do
> I have to sell one the kids to afford it?!  ;-)

Well, the 800MHz Tibook I had, and the one my wife had, both made it 6
months without any bubbling or flaking.  Our new 1GHz TiBooks seem to
be okay as well, but we've only had those for a week.

Neither of us purchased AppleCare for the 800MHz ones, but we both did
for the 1GHz models, mainly to take advantage of the "double your RAM
for $40" deal...the Apple Store was required to do the RAM installation,
and thus would have charged us $60 apiece for the install.  Since we
were both going to get AppleCare before the first year was out anyway,
we went ahead and bought it on the spot, as notebooks with AppleCare
have the $60 installation feee waived.  Now that they've upgraded AC to
provide "anywhere" coverage for notebooks, I'm quite happy with the
decision.  And though nobody I've spoken to knows whether the paint
has changed on the new 1GHz models, I've got my fingers crossed.

--
Mark C. Langston                                    Sr. Unix SysAdmin
mark at bitshift.org                                       mark at seti.org