New 1ghz - the first 24 hours

Gerry Orkin gerryo at bigpond.net.au
Mon Nov 25 16:38:04 PST 2002

Zippy fast, a noticeable improvement over the 867mhz tower it replaced.
Shipped with 10.2.1 installed.

Fan is on all the time, after the first 15 minutes or so - seems to
make no difference whether the power is plugged in or not.  Much softer
than the bloody tower, but still way louder than I was hoping :(  On
the other hand, yesterday *was* 35C outside :)

Small low bump on the top plate surface about 1/3 down towards the edge
from the --> end key, bottom right of the keyboard - seems to be a drop
of paint or something. No other surface imperfections.

No dead pixels. A couple of areas on the screen (bottom right
especially) appear slightly darker than the rest, when viewed against a
solid background, but not noticeable in normal use.

Airport reception is acceptable in my situation, but only about 2/3 the
range that I get with our white iBook.

Overall I'm pretty pleased - having barely handled a TiBook before, I
ordered this machine with some trepidation after reading lots of
negative reports on the net re paint problems, Airport reception,
screen/keyboard marks, split cases blah blah blah. This is my 8th
Macintosh, after a 512k, a Mac II, SE/30, Centris 610, PPC 7300/200,
867mhz G4 tower and iBook. I've never had a single fault with any of
these machines (touch wood) - not a single repair over all these years.

I hope this machine maintains this record :)

Gerry