Function Key Mapping

Jerry Krinock dearjerry at mindspring.com
Tue Apr 1 14:51:55 PST 2003

I have better uses for the F1-F7 keys than Apple's brightness, sound, etc.

I would therefore like to reverse the operation of the "fn" modifier key in
the lower left, so that F1-F7 do _my_ stuff when I hit them _without_ the
"fn" modifier key, and do Apple's stuff when I hit them _with_ the "fn"
modifier key.

I seem to remember that I could do this with an OS 9 Control Panel.  Does
anyone know a way to reverse the "fn" modifier key like this in OS 10.2.4?
System Preferences Keyboard doesn't seem to allow it.

Also, on an 800 MHz 15-inch book, my F7 key now has a picture of a shadowed
rectangle on it.  Apparently it is mapped to some hardware function like
F1-F6, but nothing happens when I push it.  What does this shadowed
rectangle mean?  What is it supposed to do?  My old 667 MHz did not have
this; its F7 key was "mine".

Jerry Krinock