[Ti] Function Key Mapping

Dennis Fazio dfz at mac.com
Tue Apr 1 20:11:55 PST 2003

--On Tuesday, April 01, 2003 02:51 PM -0800 Jerry Krinock <dearjerry at mindspring.com> wrote:

> I have better uses for the F1-F7 keys than Apple's brightness, sound, etc.
>
> I would therefore like to reverse the operation of the "fn" modifier key in
> the lower left, so that F1-F7 do _my_ stuff when I hit them _without_ the
> "fn" modifier key, and do Apple's stuff when I hit them _with_ the "fn"
> modifier key.

If you press "num lock" (F6) key, you can reverse the embedded numeric keypad keys and the home/end/pg up/pg dn keys and use them without holding the fn key.

However, in this mode, the embedded numeric keypad keys will not be able to tell you where they are or the Army will expel them from the keyboard and they'll have to move to a Wintel extended keyboard and get battered by beginner bookkeeping students all day.

Unfortunately, I don't think there's a way to reverse the function key default action.

This design has a history in Apple's dictatorial style of pushing all control to the ruthless one-button mouse and creating keyboards of mass deception (which they continually deny they have). A team of system designers from newly acquired NeoCon Corp tried to change this but irregular programmers kept harassing them on their long walks back to the Mountain Dew machines, and though they were eventually pushed into a set of smaller cubicles, they torched all the Airport basestations as they moved back, so the update is not being completed as soon as originally planned.

--
Dennis Fazio
dfz at mac.com