[Ti] Hardiness of the AlBook/TiBook replacement

c.buttimer at mdx.ac.uk c.buttimer at mdx.ac.uk
Wed Apr 2 01:40:02 PST 2003

Many thanks for the responses to my question.

Trevor wrote:
> I am (an original, RevA) Ti-500 owner, but took the liv=berty of replying ...
>> Being an owner of the rather delicate TiBook, I was wondering whether any of
>> you had yet had reason to be grateful for the toughness of their aluminium
>> casing? In other words - are they as durable as might be hoped for?
> I do not feel that my Ti-500 is "delicate".  It is not solid and
> durable like the Pismo, but it gets a lot of movment and handling by
> me over the last 2+ years, and I have seen no effects.  Where it has
> been in and out of my briefcase thousands of times, there is some
> wearing of the grey surface, but it is minor cosmetic.
My reference to TiBook fragility was a superficial one regarding scratches,
paint wearing away etc. Having said that, the case of my Ti500 was
significantly more 'flexible' than my present 667, however, the latter fell
over from its narrow side onto its base accidentally on wooden floorboards a
while back and this caused a vertical crack to appear around the frame by
the open button. So I would continue to think of it as delicate,
particularly as you say relative to the much hardier rev2 Pismo.

All the best,

Colin.