[Ti] Function Key Mapping

Joao Carlos de Pinho jogme at terra.com.br
Wed Apr 2 04:31:38 PST 2003

On  4/1/03 19:51, Jerry Krinock wrote:

> I would therefore like to reverse the operation of the "fn" modifier key in
> the lower left, so that F1-F7 do _my_ stuff when I hit them _without_ the
> "fn" modifier key, and do Apple's stuff when I hit them _with_ the "fn"
> modifier key.
>
> I seem to remember that I could do this with an OS 9 Control Panel.  Does
> anyone know a way to reverse the "fn" modifier key like this in OS 10.2.4?
> System Preferences Keyboard doesn't seem to allow it.

To be able to do this, you just need to boot in OS 9, change these settings
in the Keyboard control panel and reboot in OS X. The changed configuration
will stick even after restarts. But be prepared to repeat these steps if
Apple releases an OS X update (10.2.5, 10.2.6, whatever), because the
previous updates (10.2.1 to 10.2.4) reverted the fn keys to their default
behavior after the installation process.

Hope it helps,

João Carlos de Pinho

P.S.: Obviously, this hint doesn't apply to the new PowerBooks, since they
lack the ability to boot in OS 9.