17" and Battery/Charge Failure

David Ferleger david at ferleger.com
Wed Apr 2 11:13:54 PST 2003

I LOVE my new 17" Al PB, the look and screen and feel. All is well -
EXCEPT...

This past Friday, I put in a new extra battery I bought from Apple and
went home
with the 17".  Machine would not boot at all, even when on AC power
cord. Even
when I changed the power adaptor cord. Battery showed 1 green light
when button
pressed.

On Monday: Found that with the original (5 green light) battery, 17"
booted just fine.

Apple Tech: Concluded over phone that the 17" was not charging any
battery at all!!!!
Sent it back and am awaiting word if it can be repaired.

Clearly, since its arrival on Mar 21, I didn't know this problem since
I usually use
it with AC power and it arrived with enough power for moments otherwise.

Questions:
1. Can you all check to see if your battery is being charged ok? (if
yellow ring
turns on, on the power plug, it shows it is charging).
2. Any similar problems out there?
3. Any ideas?

4. For technically knowing folks: Is this likely to be fixable
inside-apple? Or should
I insist on a new machine?

Pleasse feel free to distribute this to other Mac sites in case anyone
has ideas.

David
david at ferleger.com