[Ti] another VPC nightmare brewing

b galahad9 at earthlink.net
Wed Apr 2 18:30:43 PST 2003

According to Chris and Cheryl:

>On Wednesday, April 2, 2003, at 07:52 PM, b wrote:
>>llo,
>>
>>It's me, the happy Apple user, VPC guinea pig. I upgraded fromVPC
>>5.0.4 to VPC 6, to 6.0.1, loaded the additions, booted my Win2kPro
>>PC, closed it, booted my XP Pro image..... same deal, the "Shared
>>Network" prefs in both configs, are showing a choice between
>>'Virtual Switch" and "Shared Network"... neither of which is
>>relevant or will allow my apps to connect over TCP/IP to the Net.
>
>I will depend on your network setup.  Shared Networking in VPC 6
>uses NAT and DHCP for your guest operating system to get an IP
>address and get it routed to the outside world.  It appears to me
>that it only works with a specific private Class B netblock.  I am
>using the "virtual switch" since our entire network uses static ip
>addresses, and that was the easy one for me to set up.
>--
>Chris

I'm not on a network, and both Win2k and XP were auto-connecting with
Socket Shared  as the setting in network prefs, right up until the
VPC 6 upgrade. never needed a proxy setting [since there's no
firewall or network or Linksys, or even airport enavbled]  and never
needed, nor could i find, DHCP settings in windows. Windows only
offers dialup and Network [LAN] as settings for Internet connections.
Neither one applies to me, I'm running VPC images as 'guests' on the
'host' which is my Ti-Book, jacked straight into a dsl modem, no
router, hub, bridge...nada.. it worked an hour ago, perfectly, with
5.0.4, but the sockets shared has disappeared 100% from VPC 6.

~flipper