[Ti] 17" and Battery/Charge Failure

Kynan Shook kshook at mac.com
Wed Apr 2 19:34:35 PST 2003

David Ferleger <david at ferleger.com> writes:
> Apple Tech: Concluded over phone that the 17" was not charging any
> battery at all!!!!
> Sent it back and am awaiting word if it can be repaired.
>
> 2. Any similar problems out there?
> 3. Any ideas?
>
> 4. For technically knowing folks: Is this likely to be fixable
> inside-apple? Or should
> I insist on a new machine?

I work as a repair technician for an AASP; I can say I've seen this
problem before, though it's relatively rare-I think I've only seen it
twice or so.  It can be a firmware or power management problem, fixed
without a hardware replacement.  On the 17", you could try shutting off
the computer, pressing Shift-Control-Option-Power (don't press
Function!), and then pressing the power button again in 5 seconds.  If
the phone tech knew what he was doing, he probably already had you do
this, however.

Anyway, if it is actually a hardware problem, it can be a problem with
any of the following: battery, power adapter, logic board, PMU (if the
PMU is not on the logic board-I can't tell yet with a 17", I'd have to
see the logic board and I haven't worked on one yet), or the DC-In
board (if the DC plug is not on the logic board).  It is also worth
noting that the older 45 W power adapter may not be able to charge the
battery, and the battery may even drain while using the 45 W power
adapter under heavy computer use.

Kynan Shook
kshook at mac.com
http://homepage.mac.com/kshook/index.html