[Ti] black gunk on tibook screen / startup chime

Kynan Shook kshook at mac.com
Wed Apr 2 19:54:49 PST 2003

"GUY K" <yugyug at mail.com> writes:
> back on the list after sometime away. I hope this issue hasn't been
> covered
> recently.
> My tibook screen has developed some black gunk on its screen, no doubt
> from the
> keyboard, that is impossible to remove with ordinary cleaners (I don't
> want to melt
> the screen here...) I use a piece of paper religiously now when I
> close the screen
> but does anyone know how I can get rid of it ?
> Also...a bit of the subject for this list but....  I have been trying
> to replace/remove the
> apple startup chime. I have tried applescript on os9 to
> semi-succesfully control the
> tibook vol. but is there a better way in OSX?

You should be able to just rub it off; use a soft cloth and water, and
spend several minutes on it if you have to.  If you think you need
something more, try Klear Screen <www.klearscreen.com>.

The startup chime is stored in the ROM, and, short of burning your own
modified ROM (and stealing the rest of Apple's ROM, violating copyright
law...), you can't totally remove or replace it.  The best you can do,
as I'm sure you already know, would be to write a shutdown script to
mute your volume when you turn off your computer.  You could go all
power-Applescript-user and have it save your current volume before
shutting down, and return it to the previous volume when booting up
again.  Other than that, I don't think you have any options.

What are you doing rebooting anyway, especially in OS X???  You (and
everybody else) should only be sleeping your computers; it's easiest to
use, just as safe as being shut down, and as long as you use your
computer at least once a day, it probably saves a little bit of power
(sleep over a number of hours uses less power than starting up for
about 3-5 minutes).

Kynan Shook
kshook at mac.com
http://homepage.mac.com/kshook/index.html