[Ti] another VPC nightmare brewing

Chris and Cheryl chris at mercury1.astcomm.net
Wed Apr 2 20:21:48 PST 2003

On Wednesday, April 2, 2003, at 08:30 PM, b wrote:

> I'm not on a network, and both Win2k and XP were auto-connecting with
> Socket Shared  as the setting in network prefs, right up until the VPC
> 6 upgrade. never needed a proxy setting [since there's no firewall or
> network or Linksys, or even airport enavbled]  and never needed, nor
> could i find, DHCP settings in windows. Windows only offers dialup and
> Network [LAN] as settings for Internet connections. Neither one
> applies to me, I'm running VPC images as 'guests' on the 'host' which
> is my Ti-Book, jacked straight into a dsl modem, no router, hub,
> bridge...nada.. it worked an hour ago, perfectly, with 5.0.4, but the
> sockets shared has disappeared 100% from VPC 6.

Hooked to a DSL modem, your Ti is more than likely using pppoe to get
an address, dns server, and default gateway.

In Windows, right click the "network places" icon and select
"properties".  Right click the "local area connection icon" and select
"properties" (VPC emulates an Intel NIC).  Select TCP/IP, then click
the properties. If you set "Obtain An IP Address Automatically" windows
will use DHCP to get an address. Do not set a gateway or any other
settings. Windows should get an address from the VPC emulator and use
NAT to use your Mac's connection to the internet.
--
Chris