[Ti] another VPC nightmare brewing

Chris Olson chris at mercury1.astcomm.net
Thu Apr 3 06:25:17 PST 2003

On Thursday, April 3, 2003, at 03:22 AM, b wrote:

> I saw that it showed an IP starting with 192.xxx.xxx.xx  and the
> Internet Connect of the Mac, itself, showed an IP starting with
> 64.xx.xx.xx  So, with the Windows network activity window, showing
> bytes sent and received, open, I launched a mail.yahoo.com page
> request in IE, saw 2,000+ bytes sent...Zero received, and got the, by
> now, familiar "That page could not be reached, not on this server, or
> there is no Internet connection enabled, would you like to go to
> network settings?"

192.168.xxx.xxx is a private class B netblock reserved for such uses.
I'll have to play with that a little here and see what's up.  The only
thing I can think of is that NAT is broken in VPC 6.0.  Otherwise it
should work.  Look at it this way - if you had a router, that router
would have a DHCP server in it to give your Ti an address.  Little
cable/dsl routers, like the Linksys, use NAT to masquerade the private
IP address of your mac on the internet using the public IP of the
router.  In the case of VPC, Windows should have a private address and
be using your Ti as the router, using Network Address Translation to
route the virtual Win box to the outside.

I don't have access to a setup like yours - our network is T-1 with
routers and firewalls on every node.  But you have raised an
interesting question - is NAT really broken in VPC 6.0?  It would be
nice to hear from someone who is successfully using it.
--
Chris