[Ti] another VPC nightmare brewing

b galahad9 at earthlink.net
Thu Apr 3 09:51:37 PST 2003

According to Trevor J. Hutley:

>Chris - I am running VPC with W98 on my Ti-500 connected directly to
>a DSL modem.
>
>I am happy to be a proxy for your experiment.  What do you want to know?
>
>I have no idea how to go about fining out if "NAT is broken in VPC"
>but I am  a technical guy and can run any experiment that you design
>or suggest.
>
>Let me know if I can help.
>
>regards,  Trevor

Hi Trevor,

Chris was responding to the problem I encountered on my setup: a 667
Ti, running VPC 6.0.1 hooked straight to a dsl modem. No internet
connection in terms of packets incoming.

With VPC 5, I have zero problems with my XP and Windows2000Pro
drives. The default for 'Networking' in VPC 5, is: "Sockets Shared
Networking". Launch either drive,no problem.

However in VPC 6, the only options I get are "Shared Network" and
"Virtual Switch". The setting recommended by Chris, and others
[including Connectix support] is Shared networking,with "TCP/IP set
to 'Obtain IP from host' [in different terms], 'DHCP Enabled'.

Well, that is exactly the way my setup, in VPC 6 is,and the bytes go
out, but the 'returns' don't come in. All internet activity comes to
a halt, waiting for pages that never arrive.

All the gory details and trial and error, is in two letters from
Chris and I, during the late night exchanges.

I'm back on VPC 5.0.4 now, and all is well. But VPC 6 is useless, and
XP is going in the trash. [due to Win2k being far faster on the
emulator.

~flipper