[Ti] another VPC nightmare brewing

Chris Olson chris at mercury1.astcomm.net
Thu Apr 3 10:29:08 PST 2003

On Thursday, April 3, 2003, at 11:51 AM, b wrote:
> According to Trevor J. Hutley:
> Chris was responding to the problem I encountered on my setup: a 667
> Ti, running VPC 6.0.1 hooked straight to a dsl modem. No internet
> connection in terms of packets incoming.
>
> With VPC 5, I have zero problems with my XP and Windows2000Pro drives.
> The default for 'Networking' in VPC 5, is: "Sockets Shared
> Networking". Launch either drive,no problem.
>
> However in VPC 6, the only options I get are "Shared Network" and
> "Virtual Switch". The setting recommended by Chris, and others
> [including Connectix support] is Shared networking,with "TCP/IP set to
> 'Obtain IP from host' [in different terms], 'DHCP Enabled'.
>
> Well, that is exactly the way my setup, in VPC 6 is,and the bytes go
> out, but the 'returns' don't come in. All internet activity comes to a
> halt, waiting for pages that never arrive.

Hmmmm...... obviously NAT works in VPC 6 if Trevor is using it.  I have
the capability to simulate a DSL connection on our LAN.  When I get
time to do that, I intend to explore further why you could be having
problems with the shared networking.

> All the gory details and trial and error, is in two letters from Chris
> and I, during the late night exchanges.
>
> I'm back on VPC 5.0.4 now, and all is well. But VPC 6 is useless, and
> XP is going in the trash. [due to Win2k being far faster on the
> emulator.

Windows XP is a bit "heavy" even on native hardware.  I much prefer
Windows 2000 Pro if I have to use Windows for anything, and neither can
match OS X (IMHO).
--
Chris