[Ti] another VPC nightmare brewing

Chris Olson chris at mercury1.astcomm.net
Thu Apr 3 15:55:48 PST 2003

On Thursday, April 3, 2003, at 01:12 PM, b wrote:

> They both connect fine in VPC 5. So, how could the internal net
> settings, in 'Saved" Drive images, be at fault, when both images
> connect instantaneously when relaunched in VPC 5 ??? I mean, one of
> the first things Windows, any config, any OS does, on launch, is: Set
> networking, and then Load personal settings...  This seems to suggest,
> to me, that the vastly different result in operation is in the
> emulator, not the 'guest'.

I'm sure it is.  I don't know how "Shared Sockets" works on the
technical end, but I do know how NAT works (maybe it's the same thing
with different terminology - I don't know).  Maybe you could make a new
fixed size drive image, then try a new fresh install of Windows and see
what happens just as an experiment. I'm shooting in the dark, because
it's hard to diagnose something like that without being "hands on".  My
thought is that maybe VPC 5.0 installed some special Windows network
drivers that VPC 6.0 doesn't use but Windows is still using them?  I
would think that's possible, seeing as how the VPC Additions are
installed pretty much automatically in Windows, so I see no reason that
VPC 5.0 couldn't do something like that with network drivers. Again,
I'm just guessing, as I upgraded from VPC 3.0 to 6.0, so I never got a
chance to use 5.0.  Did 5.0 even emulate the same NIC card as 6.0?  I
know when I converted my old win98 image from VPC 3.0, windows found
all sorts of new hardware when it fired up the first time.

Also - just another thought - I see you mention the saved drive images.
  You can't make any changes to the VPC network preferences while the
drive images are in a saved state. Your guest operating system must be
shut down first.

It's just a thought - I'm sure after dumping $99 on the VPC upgrade
you'd like to see it working!
--
Chris