Emptying Trash Hangs (was: very rare, in OS X)

JELyon jelyon at mac.com
Thu Apr 3 16:05:42 PST 2003

I had that happen to me whilst cleaning off a volume that was having
the "keys out of order" issue, which I've come to dread. Copy files
from damaged volume to good disk, delete files from damaged volume, and
hang city.

I'd recommend a bout of Disk Warrioring, as, based on my experience, I
would suspect there may be something wrong with the volume from which
you're deleting files. Or you can use your favorite disk utility. As
you prefer.

I also discovered another trick today - I had some apps that didn't
want to shut down, even when I forced them to quit - so I tried the
kill command at the unix prompt. I felt a rush of power and
invincibility.

John Lyon