[Ti] very rare, in OS X

Obrecht, Jerry A Jerry.A.Obrecht at mdnt.com
Fri Apr 4 07:51:22 PST 2003

>>  > Wasn't the finder already re-written in Cocoa? Thought that was
>>>  actually in one of the 10.1.x revs, but not sure...
>>>
>> Not that I know of.  You may be thinking of the shareware "Path Finder".
>
> I'd bet dollars to donuts, that the Finder is in the same language as
> the 'old' Finder, meaning it has 68k emulation stuff still in it. It
> certainly acts like it.
>
> I've now 'Relaunched Finder" more times [over several re-installs of
> Jag] in a 6-month period, than Quark 3.0 on an old PPC. <Laughs>. I
> didn't think anybody would ever top Quark 3 for flakiness. I was
> wrong.
>
> ~flipper

I have given up on The Finder a long time ago. I am using Path Finder
instead. It is what the Finder should have been a long time ago!

A couple of the rumors swirling around the upcoming Panther (OS 10.3) release is that it will have a Finder that has, finally, been cocoa-ized, which may improve its performance; and that Panther will have a new file system based, or totally borrowed, from the Be OS.  There is some logic to the last rumor, whether it will happen in 10.3 or a later release is uncertain (as are all rumors), because Apple has hired the Be programmer who reportedly developed the Be file system...thus, possibly a totally new Finder.  Could be a welcome development.

Jerry