80 GB suggestion

Steve Wozniak steve at woz.org
Fri Apr 4 14:42:45 PST 2003

I would suggest that you don't rush to install 80 GB drives.

I've only tried them in Big Al's so far. I'll try TiBooks next.

One, created with Carbon Copy Cloner, is working for me now. But I've had a ton of flaky behavior for a few days, since installing this drive.

Just today I had a number of Eudora mail trays lose the ability to access the last few emails. I had to save the prior emails and recreate the mail trays. Then I found my IE favorites gone. The favorites.com file was full of email. Ha ha!

A lot of what I did yesterday involved an 80 GB internal drive and an 80 GB external firewire drive. They both draw 1A. I don't have mine with me right now, but the drives that ship in Big Al might be 500 mA.

Today I tried two 80 GB drives in each of 2 brand new (out of box) Big Als. The installer ran but the drives were hosed. That's 0 for 4. These Big Als would work with 60 GB drives. I trust the installer, at least on 60 GB drives, because a friend of mine wiped his 60 GB drive clean and installed from scratch, successfully.

new drive + new computer + new install DVD + power drain = bleeding edge.
--

Regards,

Steve  (is tv wake zone?)