[Ti] 80 GB HD warnings

Stephen Spector shspector at shaw.ca
Sat Apr 5 13:52:00 PST 2003

> on 4/5/2003 1:00 AM, Steve Wozniak at steve at woz.org wrote:

>>> Interesting - 64Gb is 36 bits, which seems an unlikely number at which to
>>> have some sort of limitation, but who knows ? I thought HFS+ was all 64 bit,
>>> but maybe it's something more subtle than that ?
>>
>> Well, it's possible that the volume size limitation is only in a driver bug
>> or
>> in the installer itself, the one that came with my Big Al's.
>>
>> Anyway, I plan to install over and over until I can narrow down the size that
>> works. Maybe I'll start with 64 GB. Obviously, 80 GB drives work fine in
>> towers.
>
> Don't forget that the actual number may be some multiple of the actual
> limitation.  Anyone remember the maximum number of resources in a file
> (2727) was due to limitations within how the resource manager laid out its
> internal file structures...
>
> --
> Glenn L. Austin <><
> Computer Wizard and Race Car Driver
> <glenn at austin-home.com>
> <http://www.austin-home.com/glenn/>

More likely the limitation is function of the ATA standard used. IIRC the
drives in laptops use ATA-4. PCs and Macs before the MDD models used ATA-5.
Current models used ATA-6. The ATA-6 can access 6 petabytes since it uses
2^44 bits to address. The ATA-5 standard is 2^32 which limits it to 128g. It
may be that the AT-4 standard is limited to 64g.

Stephen