[Ti] Sleep/wake problem

Jeffrey K. Lew jklew at ucla.edu
Sat Apr 5 22:54:12 PST 2003

>Since someone had asked for the specifics this is the weird happenings
>
>1) I put my Powerbook to sleep - (while on AC adapter)
>2) Close the LCD
>3) Later - Open the LCD
>4) I get three beep tones
>5) Followed by a series of four steady flashes of the sleep lcd indicator
>6) No other beeps but there is a repeat of the flashes always in a series of
>four
>7) Have to restart via holding and releasing the on/off switch
>
>Any clues as to whats up? Someone had suggested I purchased cheap memory
>since it's maxed to the 1 Gb level - but the memory is Apple factory and
>came with the PowerBook - System is about 8 months old -
>
>-- Joseph Fisher
>--

According to Apple Knowledge Base article 58442
<http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=58442>, you have bad
RAM or there is some problem reading the RAM (maybe off-spec speed?).
However, the error beep/sleep light flashing is supposed to occur on
startup, not on wakeup, so I don't know if this applies for your
case. It's quite possible that something on the MLB is dying and is
affect the RAM. I once had a blown external L2 cache make the RAM
intermittently unreadable (or, could have been RAM going bad that
destroyed the cache memory, because eventually, one stick of RAM
completely died).

Jeff Lew
UCLA Atmospheric Sciences