[Ti] Sleep/wake problem

Kynan Shook kshook at mac.com
Sun Apr 6 00:20:59 PST 2003

Joseph Fisher <kzfisher at earthlink.net> writes:
> Since someone had asked for the specifics this is the weird happenings
> 1) I put my Powerbook to sleep - (while on AC adapter)
> 2) Close the LCD
> 3) Later - Open the LCD
> 4) I get three beep tones
> 5) Followed by a series of four steady flashes of the sleep lcd
> indicator
> 6) No other beeps but there is a repeat of the flashes always in a
> series of
> four
> 7) Have to restart via holding and releasing the on/off switch
>
> Any clues as to whats up? Someone had suggested I purchased cheap
> memory
> since it's maxed to the 1 Gb level - but the memory is Apple factory
> and
> came with the PowerBook - System is about 8 months old -

Well, if you want to figure out what is going wrong yourself, you can
try removing one stick of RAM at a time to see if one or the other is
causing the problem; this would allow you to use your computer more
normally until you have time to repair it, but ultimately it will have
to go back to Apple for either a logic board or RAM replacement.  Three
beeps means that none of the RAM passed the power on self-test.  The
strange part is that this is the *power on* self-test, and doesn't run
when the computer wakes up or is rebooted.  It shouldn't be given just
by opening the LCD.
More info about the POST beeps:

Kynan Shook
kshook at mac.com