[Ti] Windows Media 9 in digital cinemas

b galahad9 at earthlink.net
Mon Apr 7 07:25:29 PDT 2003

According to Michael Bigley:

>Besides, after their Windoze systems are hacked a few dozen times
>because of the security holes in the OS, the company will probably
>fold anyway ;-)
>--

Exactly. I belong to a small organization that distributes short
films [indies] and when I boot into OSX I naturally grab the
QUICKTIME version. [They do have WMP and QUICKTIME choice]. However,
some short while back, i downloaded 40 films in WMP format . I.E. wmp
icons. I booted into Virtual PC, downloaded QUICKTIME, and upon
opening the folder with the 'shorts' saw that 20 or 22 films had
switched to QuickTime icons. The 'wrapper' isn't the whole story.

It's all about the codecs. Microsoft was late to the internet party,
by what? 5 years? That's a long time. Requires devious, illegal
business practices [albeit, unpunished by the corrupt regin=me in
DC], in order to 're-level' the playing field.  It's all about the
codecs.. There are plenty of videos that sport QuickTime icons but
can only run in OpenSource apps that have the codecs. Windows Media
Player is not going to supplant other formats. Take a look at the
stats on tier one Internet backbone servers, the QuickTime files are
far and away the dominant source files.

~flipper