[Ti] Updated 15" books?

Mark Dorset mark at suburbia.com.au
Mon Apr 7 08:13:55 PDT 2003

> But there is no choice but to wait.

The other choice is to buy a 1ghz 15" tibook now, considering the
following;

1) It's possible, but I think unlikely that Apple's 15" Albook, when it
is released, will be faster than 1ghz - I think this because I don't
think it's likely that Apple would release a 15" pbook that is faster
than the 17", and think that releasing a new 17" so soon after shipping
the 1st one would upset existing customers who've only just started
receiving their machines.

2) The current 15" apparently has a better performance graphics chipset
(ati 9000) than the 12" and 17" (GeForce4) (says xlr8yourmac). The
speed of the 15" 1ghz also beats some of the 17" tests done at
http://www.barefeats.com/pb17.html

3) The current 15" is based on a design which has gone through several
architecture revisions, so many unforeseen 'quirks' would have been
addressed by now, unlike a newly designed 15".

4) The new 15" will most likely have internal bluetooth, airport
extreme, FW800 and a glowing keyboard. These are nice, but for most
people, probably not urgent.

So, now that I've said all that, my prediction for the new Albook 15"
is mid-May, but I'm only basing that on the previous pattern of
approximately six month updates. At the end of the day, when I asked a
similar question to this list when the 667 was the best tibook around,
I think the best answer was 'If you need it *now*, buy it. If you can
wait, then do so, because there's always something better coming out in
the not too distant future.'

Mark