[Ti] Apple Store Service blows

Simon Chapman sc at pr100.com
Wed Apr 9 02:27:53 PDT 2003

At 12:38 am -0700 9/4/03, Steve Wozniak wrote:
>The outlets that I know have been cut off are high quality ones, in terms
>of product, appearance, staff and service, not the low quality ones. I'm
>sure that some low-quality ones are being squeezed out also, but that's
>not a good explanation here. Didn't Apple just sign some big retailer like
>Sears or someone? I never found any such large chains that I'd call
>quality.

The John Lewis chain in the UK manages to achieve that imho, and if it
weren't for one major limitation on their service I would buy everything
Mac from them. Some of what they offer:

- Full range of Macs always on display
- Knowledgeable sales assistants
- Price matching (they even matched internet prices until recently)
- Standard warranty on all Macs = 2yrs
- Extended warranty gives _extra_ 5yrs for 295UKP (Apple 2yr = not much less)
- Wide range of Mac software on display

The limitation is that they cannot supply Macs with non-standard RAM config
so if you want to change a 2 x 256Mb offering to 1 x 512Mb you have to take
the machine elsewhere. Pity that.

Simon