[Ti] Apple Store Service blows

Michael Bigley wakinyan at fuse.net
Wed Apr 9 09:12:19 PDT 2003

>The TiBooks were not allocated to other resellers until weeks or
>months after the Apple Stores had them. Apple told retailers that
>they, Apple, could do this. But a small quantity of the 17" Big Al's
>were delivered to these other stores as soon as the Apple Stores had
>them. This change might have had something to do with the class
>action lawsuit.
>
><http://www.thinksecret.com/news/dealercontracts.html>
>--

<RANT>: This is the reason that Apple remains an "also ran" in
computing. They have GREAT technology, software, hardware, et al. But
they consistently botch the business side of things.  Not do start a
side debate on the value of lawyers, but Apple has essentially
empowered and embraced lawyers to hurt their business!  If you want
to know what is really going on in a company, read their 10k. Unless
you work for Enron, if you lie to the SEC, you go to jail.  With
Apple acknowledging in their 10k that losing these retail outlets
will hurt their business, where is the logic? You want to eliminate
your liability? Do the right thing!  Don't let a bunch of
anal-retentive lawyers devise a contract that is so airtight that the
people who have to sign it will suffocate! That is not "tough, real
world business tactics" that is stupidity!</RANT>

Apple needs to have a presence in these retail outlets more than they
need to sell Apple products. Not only will this have a real effect on
Apple's bottom line, but it will feed the still-present misconception
that Apple is going out of business; hence, a reversal of the
switcher campaign. Do you think these big chains will tell the public
that it is an unreasonable contract dispute?  I am willing to bet
that we will here statements like "We do not think Apple's
marketshare and future is viable enough to devote retail space to
their products." This is a PR nightmare waiting to happen.

--
       http://www.norbertrunning.com