[Ti] who owns the stores?

Michael Bigley wakinyan at fuse.net
Wed Apr 9 12:24:59 PDT 2003

>We're talking about a system that is in its infancy. This isn't
>Sears. Would you rather have a somewhat responsible party, Apple,
>available for redress, complaints, etc, or any tom, dick or harry
>that could swing a franchise fee?

Actually franchising works well for small companies who need or want
to grow rapidly and don't have the physical resources to do it; or in
some cases, where the business itself is very transitional (a big
corp like Pepsi may start a franchise of yogurt stores, because the
business may be a fad and overall exposure is defrayed to a bunch of
individuals). Apple is actually closer to Sears, who doesn't
franchise either; with over 14,000 employees  there are lots of
opportunities to leverage existing resources (marketing, PR, store
design, regional management, finance, etc.). They are selling mostly
their own products and those products are "dated". Franchising would
create a whole new issue of quota inventories as mentioned by someone
earlier; and would inhibit Apple's ability to keep new product
launches secret.

When I go into an Apple Store to buy something, they enter my name
and information from my online user account pops up.  They could
never combine those sorts of resources with a franchise operation and
still maintain integrity and security of your personal information
(and thank goodness Apple takes security seriously).

Bottom line, IMHO, is that not franchising is a good business
decision by Apple. Forcing other retail distributors out with gestapo
contractual tactics is a stupid business decision. Not having a
definitive customer service training and follow up program --
including "secret shoppers" who evaluate service, is a slow death of
a thousand cuts (look at how much bandwidth it has taken up on this
list of solid Mac users!)
--
       http://www.norbertrunning.com