[Ti] The GOOD Apple Store (Was:Apple Store Service blows)

John B. Crane jbcrane at cranedigital.com
Wed Apr 9 22:19:35 PDT 2003

I ordered my Big AlBook about 5 weeks before they were shipping and of
course, no one could tell me when it would finally get there. I
originally ordered from the Apple Store in Aspen Grove (Littleton,
Colorado). At first I got a gentleman who, in my opinion, should not
have had any direct contact with customers. He was curt, abrubt, even
surly when I continued to call for status reports. At one point he
"guaranteed me" Apple would have machines in by the end of the week,
which of course did not happen. I got fed up after learning that they
weren't even the first ones to get the 'books when they were shipping,
and cancelled my order in search of the machine elsewhere.

Meanwhile, another person had been transitioned in to handle "business
customers," of which I was one. She was wonderful, and the other
gentleman went on to other tasks about the store. When the machines
finally came in, the new gal was on the phone that day, even though
weeks earlier in a mini-rant I had asked her to remove my name from the
list... She called, said the machines had just come in and I'd been on
her mind for the last 2 weeks, and she had one here and it was mine if
I wanted it. I zipped down, apologized, we all smiled, and all was
good. While there, I met the original gentleman who was nothing as I'd
imagined, he was a quiet, kind man, and I (re)learned a valuable lesson
that day: some people are just better suited for some positions than
others.

I guess the point is that it can't be overstated how much impact just 1
person can have on an overall buying experience, or how much impact
they can have on swaying an opinion about a company - either for or
aft. This is my third generation of PowerBook (starting with the 165)
and I've loved them all- and will continue to buy them as long as Apple
makes them. My hope is as Apple's retail business matures, those who
should be off doing something else find happiness, allowing those who
are suited to selling dream machines to drooling, starry eye'd zealots
smile and take your money ;-). It's also important that tales of good
service spread as fast and deep as tales of woe.
For what it's worth.

JBC
John B. Crane
CraneDigital, LLC
3D Visual Communications for All Media
Fort Collins, CO 80524
tel: (970) 229-1462
www.cranedigital.com

This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are confidential and are
addressed. If you are NOT the intended recipient or the person
responsible
for delivering the e-mail to the intended recipient, be advised that you
have received this e-mail in error and that any use, dissemination,
forwarding, printing or copying of this e-mail is strictly prohibited.