A shock to the system

Bill Barton wbill at bellatlantic.net
Thu Apr 10 11:11:59 PDT 2003

This is not something to take lightly.  When I was on a all expense paid

vac. by the US Army in Vietnam 33 years ago we were called to look at a
Navy site south of Saigon that kept going down. This being the very old
days of computers we had a communications system that kept track of
errors and would shut down when it hit X number of them and you would
have to restart the system.

Well the Navy could not figure out what the problem was so they called
in the Air Force tech's first and they could not find out what was going
on so they said "for fun let's see what the army can find"  As I was the
new guy that time, I went along to carry the extra circuit boards and
hand them tools as needed.  But every time I would lean up on the rack
that held the equipment I would get shocked!!! So after this happened a
couple of times I said "look at this guys" we put a multimeter on the
rack and had voltage....  To make a long story short they had to dig a
new ground for the comm center to correct the problem.....

bill