[Ti] "I'm Emptying the Trash now, Dave"

cbirds cbirds at earthlink.net
Thu Apr 10 13:19:46 PDT 2003

b tapped out this message on 4/10/2003 4:09 PM

>My entire 'gripe' with the Finder, and sluggishness in OSX-Jaguar, is
>best summed-up by the annoying dialog box: "Preparing to empty the
>Trash"...that will remain on screen for many seconds, even if all
>that's being trashed is an alias or an empty folder...And then it
>pauses on the 'empty' frame for additional seconds...
>
>Why? What's the matter with just getting it Done, a la OS 9?  I'm
>almost grateful that I have to use quark 5 in OS 9 to pay the
>bills,it provides expedient relief, and reminds me of the "make it
>so" nature of true user-friendliness. I wish Apple would get Quincy
>to have a look at the finder, and either fix it or put it out of its
>misery. Third-party 'finder substitutes' sound ok, but the homeboy
>Finder hates CMs and anything 3rd-party...so that's out, for now.
>
>What is the engineering rationale for a Finder/alert method that
>appears so 'self'-absorbed as to need to announce its every move?
>Annoying. Does anyone else see this hundreds of times a day, or is it
>just me?

Flipper, yes, yes, and yes. It's just that anyone who dares to complain
risks being marked as an X hater and so get stifled faster than Edith
Bunker...

Now that doesn't preclude you from bombarding Apple with bug reports or
"suggestions" for improvement. After all, they have owned the model of
userfriendliness with the other OS, now why can't this be the same? I'm
willing to give it time.
My major gripe right now is the font smoothing. Why not over size 12?
With such fine resolutions on the new screens, it would seem even  MORE
imperative that we should be able to do this. I can't read anything under
18 now without getting a headache, thanks to the thick-thin garbage on my
screen with anything lower sized. I have yet to find an add-on to cure it.

No grab on the windows is a also a pain, but getting the windowshade has
helped that...........as well as the colorcodings.
I still find the whole system one heck of a confusion to use though.

I loved your subject....... :-)