[Ti] "I'm Emptying the Trash now, Dave"

Loren Schooley loren at flash.net
Thu Apr 10 13:28:36 PDT 2003

On 4/10/03 3:09 PM, "b" <galahad9 at earthlink.net> wrote:

> My entire 'gripe' with the Finder, and sluggishness in OSX-Jaguar, is
> best summed-up by the annoying dialog box: "Preparing to empty the
> Trash"...that will remain on screen for many seconds, even if all
> that's being trashed is an alias or an empty folder...And then it
> pauses on the 'empty' frame for additional seconds...
>
> Why? What's the matter with just getting it Done, a la OS 9?  I'm
> almost grateful that I have to use quark 5 in OS 9 to pay the
> bills,it provides expedient relief, and reminds me of the "make it
> so" nature of true user-friendliness. I wish Apple would get Quincy
> to have a look at the finder, and either fix it or put it out of its
> misery. Third-party 'finder substitutes' sound ok, but the homeboy
> Finder hates CMs and anything 3rd-party...so that's out, for now.
>
> What is the engineering rationale for a Finder/alert method that
> appears so 'self'-absorbed as to need to announce its every move?
> Annoying. Does anyone else see this hundreds of times a day, or is it
> just me?
>
> ~flipper

I use locate for some types of searches. ~Quick~.
And the search window in the respective directories work great (jag+ only)

As far as the sluggishness of OSX, I had that problem. My machine was wading
through MUD, I was about to trade it for something that performed better,
like crack, or buy a Dell, or anything that could go plus+ 30 MPH on the
I-Super-Highway, but, then---- I have just deep zero'd out my HDD, and
reinstalled. Ahhhhh-a brand new machine! It flies! See, when I upgraded from
Classic on this HDD, I never Zeroed it, just plain formatted, and then I had
20 gig of data on a 20gig HDD, and that was two years ago. Now I am fine.