[Ti] noise from Ti only during battery use

Paul Russell prussell at arc-software.com
Fri Apr 11 07:35:23 PDT 2003

>Greetings...
>
>I've recently noticed that when I operate my Ti 400 on battery
>power, I get a high
>pitched noise which is electrical (versus the sound of, say, a drive
>going bad). It
>gets louder the longer the 'book runs and stops as soon as I plug in the power
>adapter.
>
>Anyone know what this might be and if it means I am on the edge of
>any kind of serious
>trouble?

This is fairly common in modern electronics - even my new 17 incher
does this occasionally (for some reason it does it really badly when
I'm surfing with Safari, but not much the rest of the time). It's
usually just a DC-DC converter getting a bit noisy under certain load
conditions. I wouldn't worry, but if you can't help it then ear plugs
and/or AppleCare may help to relieve the symptoms.

Oh, I nearly forgot: of course this kind of thing didn't happen
before Bush became president. ;-)

Paul