[Ti] "I'm Emptying the Trash now, Dave" - not seen

b galahad9 at earthlink.net
Sat Apr 12 12:59:02 PDT 2003

According to Michael Bigley:

>>Strange.  I have all kinds of third-party stuff: QuicKeys, LaunchBar,
>>Default Folder, CopyPaste, TinkerTool.  Couldn't live without 'em.  Two days
>>and no problems with 10.2.5.  It just worked.
>
>I think Loren's idea of zero all data has merit. I have seen lots of
>posts after OS upgrades that report computer-specific problems; if
>there are not specific apps or configs that are causing the issues,
>it seems that there must be some issues deep within the individual
>hardware/software that cause anomalies.
>
>After reading some of the reports on this list, I backed up my
>User/Library/Preferences folder, but fortunately had none of the
>reported problems. I am sure that is frustrating for folks like
>Flipper who, from all accounts manages his OS pretty meticulously.
>
>Also, one of the things I did in the early days of OSX, because I
>had no understanding of UNIX permissions, is that I reset the
>permissions of a number of folders so I could see and use them...
>this caused no end of flakiness in my computer until I did a fresh,
>clean install (but did not zero out HD). I suppose Jag's "repair
>permissions" tool fixes that sort of foolishness.
>--

No comment on repair permissions, although wiser folks than myself
have suggested launching from Installer, doing a disk repair, the
permissions, THEN the Apple upgrade, then another repair routine. How
Mr & Mrs America are supposed to tra-la-la through their digital
'hubs' behind that foolishness is better left to the wiser amongst us.

My question: How to go about a low level reformat on my terms?

I used silverling pro for years, but no more, i guess. on my ti 667,
i would like to reset the allocation minimums to 1k rather than the
4, or 8k, that seems to be the Apple HFS+ default. How can i do this?
What software?

I haven't felt the need to backup everything and reset the drive
since my third PowerBook 150, a while ago. There was a utility, once,
that actually reset the magnetics of the drive, i believe. So that it
was returned to a true, pristine state.

My plan is to dump everything, do the most aggressive reformat
possible, re-install Jag, upgrade it to current v., and then import
my programs in a nice, orderly fashion.  Any brand-specific advice on
software[s] that might help, greatly appreciated.

The anomalies have won the battle, i surrender...now what?

~flipper