[Ti] Better Battery Power was [Anyone loaded 10.2.5 yet? Any issues?]

b galahad9 at earthlink.net
Sun Apr 13 21:09:26 PDT 2003

According to XXL:

>I do not wonder that this story has made the rounds.  OS X does do a bit of
>"optimization" but it is hardly the same as de-fragmenting a disc with Plus
>Optimizer, et. al.   Current disc de-fraggers are so slow with OS X's
>prolific number of files that it is much faster to do a Retrospect Backup
>and then do a restore to de-frag a disc.
>-Joel
>
>>  For a file system, OSX, that sports a 'myth'
>>  that fragmentation 'isn't an issue'

Speed disk, standalone, set for 512 MB RAM, nice... very very nice.
Checking a graphical representation of a drive that SD considers
'Light' in terms of frags, is mind-boggling, looks like the file
system blew itself to smithereens. But apps aren't noticeably 'sped
up' as a result of a de-frag... other anomalies, and slower reboots,
etc, vanish, though.

One other thing. After moving the files off, a la retrospect, and
then moving the whole lot back to a pristine original drive, you then
have plenty of 'free' unfragged drive space, and the same fragmented
files you started off with.

~flipper