[Ti] Better Battery Power was [Anyone loaded 10.2.5 yet? Any issues?]

Michael Bigley wakinyan at fuse.net
Mon Apr 14 19:14:18 PDT 2003

>There might, i hope, be reasonable, safe, means to deal with that
>slow startup. I don't know if you have FileBuddy, or TinkerTool, or
>are averse to booting into 9 and using Sherlock with visibility set
>to "All", but, trashing all copies of the file called
>.GlobalPreferences.plist is a good place to start. It is amazing how
>few prefs are affected, despite the 'global' moniker. Don't forget
>the 'dot' before 'global'.
>
>There are copies in Library/Preferences, and  ~/Library/Preferences.

This seemed to knock about a minute off my startup.  From startup to
login 1:17, from login to end of spinning beachball 2:15; I get over
1 minute of the login window with spinning barber pole, then about
the same time with the Finder showing up in the top left, but no
icons or windows, the desktop icons are the last things to show up
and then the system is ready...

>Also, under the "Network" pane in Sys Prefs, the box marked 'show'
>should only contain the network connect port configuration one is
>actually using. in my case i use dsl, so under 'Show' I see
>"Built-in Ethernet' and if i click it, and look at 'Network Port
>Configurations' i see that only 'Built-in Ethernet' has a check
>mark. If i used FaxStf or something requiring a dialup, then the
>second item, under Built-in Ethernet, would be 'Internal modem' with
>a check.

Yes, I did this several revs back.

>  And, last but not least, many apps work perfectly well without
>their 'added-in' items that show up in 'Login Items', also in Sys
>Prefs.

I tried deleting all login items but no change in time

>Also, and i cannot stress enough, even a 'light', or
>'moderate'-rated amount of disk fragmentation will slow down boot
>times. Always. no exceptions. My restarts and 'cold' boots are, on
>average, 20 to 25% faster after defragging. For a file system, OSX,
>that sports a 'myth' that fragmentation 'isn't an issue', I have to
>wonder, based on consistent, real-world results.

I suppose this could be an issue, the finder could be trying to wade
through a bunch of fragged files; I will post this question on the
OSX Tech list to see if someone can give me a rational explanation of
why OSX or the Finder does not handle the UNIX defragmentation
process properly.

--
       http://www.norbertrunning.com