[Ti] (OT) OSX Linuxbaserad?

Michael Bigley wakinyan at fuse.net
Tue Apr 15 04:57:32 PDT 2003

>I assume he is right to the fact that that the kernal is under GNU
>but does that justify the conclusion that it is Linux based? I have
>simply thought it as UNIX-based and I don't care either way I'm just
>a bit surprised and would like to know if you agree with the tutor
>or not? Thank you for your insights.

OSX contains FreeBSD version of Unix. BSD stands for Berkley Standard
Distribution and there is a flavor of Unix that is just that (without
the "free"). FreeBSD was open source long before Linux, so using your
tutor's logic, Linux is actually FreeBSD-based.  Neither that
statement nor your tutor is correct. Linus Torvalds developed the
Linux kernel while a student at the University of Helsinki.
--
       http://www.norbertrunning.com