[Ti] Faster Finder Loading

b galahad9 at earthlink.net
Wed Apr 16 07:22:15 PDT 2003

Ray M paused, thought it over, and spoke thusly:

>  > One thing though: Can you log in as root, and see a radical
>>  difference in the time from the blue login screen? This can tell you
>>  if it's question of a corrupt preference file, faulty application, or
>>  what. I'd try booting to the Login window and signing in as 'root'.
>>  If the entire process takes less than 2 minutes, your problem is some
>>  plist/preference. check it out.  :=)
>
>How do I log in as a root?
>

>>  ~flipper
>
>Thanx again
>
>ray

First Step: You need to enable the root account. Not hard, just

1- Launch NetInfo Manager
2- 'Security' menu, select "Authenticate" [type in your normal password]
3- under same 'Security' menu, select "Enable root user" [I use the
same password]
4- Quit NetInfo Manager

5- [blue] Apple Menu, select 'Log Out' [Option-Log Out to skip 'are you sure']

You'll get a log in screen with your name, and 'other' as choices,
select 'Other', type password.

Understand that this will only give you the approximate comparison of
the login-to-application launch time. It is somewhat trickier to do a
full boot, start to finish, as 'Root'. I don't think that can be
done, actually, but the delay you spoke of was between login and
fully-operational, so it shouldn't matter.

When you choose Log Out, you have to select "Other" and then type in
'root' and your password. On my setup i have only one login item, as
'root', my 'Mouseworks background" <--Turbo Mouse Pro driver... but
when logging in as my normal self [so to speak] I have three items,
including Extensis Suitcase" [set to 'hide'] so the time is a bit
longer.

My 'target' boot time is 1:17 from 'chimes' to fully operational.

~flipper