Donate your older Macs to teachers at schools

Robert Ameeti robert at ameeti.net
Wed Apr 16 08:45:41 PDT 2003

> I moved my Performa 630 (still perfectly functioning) in to storage elsewhere in my house.  I hate to throw away something like this, with a TV card in it, but what can we do with them?  Who would find use for an OS8.1 Mac running at 33 Mhz?

I've donated dozens of Macs to a local school where a teacher with many thanks accepts these  working Macs. She loves anything with a CD drive.

One thing that hit me odd was her desire for memory DIMMs that many might throw away. DIMMs like 16 MB. These older memory DIMMs are very expensive now as they are no longer manufactured. She loves Zip drives. Working monitors, etc. (No broken anything as teachers have no resources for fixing stuff.)

All these refurbished machines get awarded to a student that has achieved recognition for improved citizenship. These students are from low income families that would otherwise never be able to afford any computer.

I've just created a new domain <http://www.saveamac.org>. This domain will be reachable within the next 48 hours. On it will be listed the school address where Macintosh computer donations can be shipped.

The site will also accept addresses of any school where a teacher can be found that would like to receive donations. After 48 hours, you can send email to <mailto:donations at saveamac.org> for more information. If you know of a school, and a teacher at the school, that can be confirmed as desiring older Macs, email that address and they will be added to the list.
--

Robert Ameeti
mailto:robert at ameeti.net

Love and a cough cannot be hidden.