[Ti] Slow start up times

b galahad9 at earthlink.net
Wed Apr 16 22:02:02 PDT 2003

Michael Bigley paused, thought it over, and spoke thusly:

>After posting this start up time issue on an OSX tech list, I
>actually received much the same information as this list with one
>exception:
>
>According to some posts on that list, even a BADLY fragged disk
>would only cause about a 20% increase in startup time.

Hi Michael,

I do not know the ins and outs of the 'phantom server' delay
business, but I've heard of it. I believe there's a way to, for
instance, stop the Finder from 'searching' for drives, Network
servers, etc, while in the Startup Disk pane, and in the dual boot
startup [Option key startup that lists all OS s present]. Sorry I
can't be of more help. maybe the folks on the forums at O'Reilly....

One thing though, for folks who reboot a lot [for whatever reason]
the gain of 20 to 25% faster reboots is very nice, but the de-fragged
drive, and files on it, comes in real handy on repeated Application
launches, rendering tasks, scratch disk operations, etc...so, the
gain in startup time efficiency isn't the whole story, more like
icing on the cake.

~flipper