[Ti] Welcoming myself to the world of Ti

Charles J. Thompson charlesjt at cox.net
Fri Apr 18 11:08:01 PDT 2003

At 10:27 AM -0700 4/18/03,  Don wrote most helpfully:
>Simon Chapman wrote:

(snip)

>  Every time I feel about ready to make the upgrade leap from 9, the
>list seems to
>fill up with discussions of problems, bugs and glitches users of X
>are having... and I
>really don't relish the thought of dealing with all the apparent
>issues, especially as
>my 'book works flawlessly with the original 9.1 installed. So is X
>unusual in this
>respect or have I just not been aware of similar problems when
>earlier system releases
>were made?

Mostly the latter case.  Many folks had problems with 9.1 (which 9.2
corrected), so evidently your particular usage profile avoided them.
Same with OS X; the problems are well-communicated but maost folks
have little if any problems with it.  As you read the OS X problem
reports, be sensitive to how many would apply to your configuration
and usage.

I've always found that the best way to avoid problems with any OS is
to keep it plain vanilla.  The more extensions one added in OS 9 (and
"enhancements" in OS X), the more likely it becomes that conflicts
will occur.

The old adage of KISS (Keep it simple, stupid) still applies.

Cheers!
Charles