[Ti] Welcoming myself to the world of Ti

Steve Wozniak steve at woz.org
Fri Apr 18 14:23:02 PDT 2003

At 3:34 PM -0400 2003.04.18, Michael Bigley wrote:

>So you don't remember the horrid performance of various flavors of System 7?  When developers were REALLY bailing out of the platform in droves?  System 8 & 9 both had their quirks but we were (are) so familiar with them we just have convenient workarounds; we know when we see certain behavior in OS8/9 that it is time to rebuild the desktop, or ditch certain preferences, etc...

fsck -y and fix permissions and files that can't be deleted and boot time - it all came back - that's why I say OS X and MacOS 9 are about the same for me.

>We are still learning what those things are in OSX. For me the learning is part of the fun (sort of like how some people enjoy golf even though they are swearing and cursing and breaking clubs at times haha). Once through the initial learning curve, most of us have never looked back... the advantages of OSX far outweigh the issues being discussed here. Try this in OS9: Launch 5 applications at once (you will probably have to make aliases), then open the finder and start opening folders until you find a file to open; then open that file. You can't. If launching the 5 apps doesn't completely lock up the system, you will at least have to wait until they are all launched to get reasonable use of your system back.
>
>In OSX I regularly run along the dock and click all the apps I am going to need for the day. I can flip back and forth through the start up screens if I wish, go to the finder, search for files, as soon as the browser pops up I am surfing the net. while this other stuff goes on in the background.  That is what protected memory and TRUE pre-emptive multitasking will do for you.

That matches my experience with MacOS 9. I and my students would all have many apps open for things like web-site creation. As long as you didn't use Internet Explorer in MacOS 9 you were OK; we used Netscape in class.

OS X has the advantage here, but I got the same things done as satisfyingly and as productively in MacOS 9.

I refuse to say that you can only find what I use (OS X) is any good. That would be bigotry.
--

Regards,

Steve  (is tv wake zone?)