[Ti] OT: Speaking of self-powered external FW drives for audio...

b galahad9 at earthlink.net
Fri Apr 18 16:01:00 PDT 2003

Timothy Steven Clarke paused, thought it over, and spoke thusly:

>I have both IBM Ultrastar and Western Digital Caviar drives in my FW
>enclosures--are those currently the best of the multimedia drives,
>or is there something else available now or soon that comes highly
>recommended?
>
>Thx,
>
>TC

Those sound great to me. I suppose if i had a desktop
Macintosh,though, that i would go for Ultra Wide SCSI, whichever
'flavor' of the SCSI type is the widest, fastest out there. The
revolutions per second are way out compared to FireWire drives as far
as i know.

I'm on a 667, which i love, but it isn't wide enough or fast enough
[bus and CPU] to really do music/video internally [not with
real-time, or on-the-fly, switching of processing parameters,
anyway]. It can be done, but the newer Macs are obviously the way to
go, and i believe fast SCSI [UW] is the ultimate in real-time
multimedia production. Assuming we stay in Apple's domain. With
changes in the OS, a new SPARC-type workstation isn't necessary any
more for rendering, either, as far as i know.

~flipper