[Ti] Startup time revisited

b galahad9 at earthlink.net
Tue Apr 22 13:06:07 PDT 2003

Michael Bigley paused, thought it over, and spoke thusly:

>- Post-login (Finder-related); this is the process that takes
>painfully long for me, and according to the console, where the
>PPPExec attempts are made as well as a number of Windowserver errors
>occur. From the time my desktop backgrounds appear to the time I
>have total access to the finder is well over 2 minutes, sometimes
>approaching 3 minutes.
>
>I have deleted numerous finder, system and network prefs with
>virtually no change in start up time, but lots of reseting of
>preferences ;-)
>
>I have zapped pram, fixed permissions, ran fsck -y to no avail.
>
>The Finder is definitely hosed as the nice white "aqua" menu bar at
>the top of the screen doesn't draw until the very end of this long
>process; IOW, all the menu icons are drawn on the desktop background
>until the Finder finally decides to show up.

Hi Mike,

I've seen that before. Unfortunately, it was quite a while ago. You
mentioned the 'normal' setup and the fact that the startup process
was much quicker as 'root'. Do you have anything that appears under
Login Items, in System Preferences?

~flipper