[Ti] Applemusic limits on usage?

Charles J. Thompson charlesjt at cox.net
Mon Apr 28 23:01:24 PDT 2003

At 11:37 PM -0500 4/28/03, Bill Reburn wrote:
>Basically, you can burn 10 CD's with an identical playlist.. Then you need
>to switch up the playlist to burn that same set of tracks again.
>
>Or you can transfer the tracks between 3 separate machines (on your home
>network for example). I guess this new system kills 'illegal' network
>sharing somehow? Loading a tiny ID tag into the file, locked to specific
>systems through iTunes.
>
>Or you can download the track to as many iPods as you want.
>
>Does that make any sense?

Yes.  After thrashing around in iTunes4 HELP, I came across the same
definitions.  It does make one wonder how  the limits are monitored
and enforced.  I'm also curious about the method of controlling
re-import of tracks burned onto CDs in audio format.  In any case,
these limits wouldn't interfere with my normal usage.

I guess they chose to control copies at the playlist level as that
corresponds to albums (as well as mixes).  I'm surprised the limit is
as high (10) as it is. I does, however, discourage large-scale
commercial duplication.

Cheers!
Charles