[Ti] [OT] Applemusic.com - is the price right?

Tarik Bilgin tarik at opalblue.com
Tue Apr 29 11:43:51 PDT 2003

On Tuesday, April 29, 2003, at 06:01  pm, Frank Farwell wrote:

>> For example, by using "lame" to encode my CD rips, I can produce
>> mp3's that are smaller in size _and_ sound noticeably better (more
>> true to the sound of the original CD playing on my system) than the
>> same track encoded to mp3 in iTunes from the same original rip.
>
> The Fraunhoffer codec in iTunes is better at low bit rates such as
> 128k even compared to Lame codecd BUT once you go to about 192 + K
> lame far exceeds the Fraunhoffer codec even at the same bit rate. You
> can get itunes to encode with Lame with some basics software installed
> but since AAC is rated so much better im not sure tis worth it unless
> you use a Mp3 player only.

I already use the Applescript to automate lame encoding for iTunes. Not
perfect but works a treat....

i;ve spoken to my friend who is the authority on audio issues for me.

He says that AAC is undeniably a better sound for less bits compared to
mp3 -- but will be a pain due to the lack of compatibility with mp3
players.

If I want to go down the route of high quality encoding and sacrifice
compatibility I would choose Ogg Vorbis which is even better than AAC.

What's a real pain is the files on the store are encoded at 128 kB. My
archive encodings (which i use to replace my CDs) are VBR with a mean
bit rate of around 192 kB. I'd rather have the extra quality to be
honest.

I wish iTunes would support Ogg.

:)

--