[Ti] Ti internal modem

Michael Bigley wakinyan at fuse.net
Tue Apr 29 15:05:27 PDT 2003

>  > While those of us who have switched to broadband never look back and
>>  can't understand why the whole world isn't with us, the fact is that
>>  statistically only about a third of net users have broadband. It is
>>  still a dial up world (much to the chagrin of web developers).
>
>Maybe it is because many of us have no access to broadband connections! I
>would love to have such access but like many who have chosen to live in a
>remote rural area, there is no such thing as cable or DSL phone lines. To go
>to Satellite Broadband means I would have to switch to a Windows machine.

I think I said that in the part of my post you did not quote ;-)

>So, please keep us in the boonies in mind and perhaps you can now understand
>why the whole world isn't with you...

Yes, I am starting to see many websites (too many, IMHO) that say
things like "optimized for broadband". Reputable companies (both
clients and designers) either require a load-spec at 56k or offer
multi-versions of their sites.

For example, P&G has a strict modem-based page load spec, and they
also require their sites to work on Mac/PC IE/Netscape... being a
consumer based company EVERYONE is a potential customer.  Of course,
they are not doing it FOR you modem users, they just want to sell you
soap, TP, towels, diapers, coffee, juice, makeup, dish detergent,
laundry products, yada, yada...

--
       http://www.norbertrunning.com