[Ti] [OT] Applemusic.com - is the price right?

Bill Reburn reburn at mts.net
Tue Apr 29 16:20:02 PDT 2003

On 4/29/03 4:58 PM, "Steve Wozniak" <steve at woz.org> wrote:

> At 5:08 PM -0400 2003.04.29, Steve Talkowski wrote:
>
>> Heh, ok mailing list, let's start a poll.  What is everyone here willing to
>> pay per song?
>
> $1 seems fair to me.
>
> It's in the ballpark of what CD's cost and a song on my computer is worth
> about the amount a coke costs, and with easy and free previews I'll only buy
> ones I like most of the time.

It's a fair price to me. I have a very wide taste in music being a vinyl
loving DJ for 15 years (is Ed White still here?). Sure I have come up with a
big fat zero searching for some songs as others have mentioned, BUT COME ON!
It's the first day out and there ARE over 200,000 tracks to check out! This
number is going to grow exponentially as more and more is brought into the
fold. This absolutely beats the pants out of ALL of my used and some new CD
hunting sessions. People are just comparing the cost of a digital track to a
CD purchase, while not taking into account - finding the CD, taxes, useless
tracks that accompany every artists release because of how the biggies build
contracts now, storage....

I look forward to maybe some combination or bulk purchase type plans.
A perfect gift for a fellow iPod or Mac user - just like prepaid phone cards
or how most stores have a refillable plastic gift card that can be used over
and over - Starbucks does this with their gift cards. The 'gift' can even be
sent/received completely electronically.

I don't buy the 'missing artwork' component of not buying CD's. Personally I
find about 98% of it completely useless. What kind of value is there in an 8
page glossy piece of paper that gets bent corners and scratches everytime
you pull it out of the jewel case? How many times do you look at it? The day
you buy it and maybe once more (great value there!) Plus, most people have
SO MANY cd's these days that they carry around a giant CaseLogic book SANS
cases - sans 'artwork'. The expansive 12"x12" of gloss (sleeve and liners)
that would come with records is a real loss.

Once this is available in Canada - I will support it.

Bill Reburn
Associate Member of the
Society of Graphic Designers of Canada