[Ti] AAC vs MP3 (slightly OT)

Tarik Bilgin tarik at opalblue.com
Tue Apr 29 23:42:19 PDT 2003

On Tuesday, April 29, 2003, at 11:54  pm, Sam Hotchkiss wrote:

> On 4/29/03 1:50 PM, "b" <galahad9 at earthlink.net> wrote:
>
>> Khyber Courchesne paused, thought it over, and spoke thusly:
>>
>>> Should I just convert my mp3's to AAC, or will that result in even
>>> more
>>> loss?  Should I instead rip all my CD's again directly to AAC?
>>
>> Re-rip, definitely. Re-importing an already-imported mp3 will not
>> replace or enhance whatever lossiness was involved in the first rip.
>> Remember VHS video tapes?  All that washed-out color on copies of
>> copies? It's worse where audio is concerned.
>
> You're not going to gain anything, and it won't sound better-- but
> converting them to AAC should not (actually, WILL not) make them sound
> worse.  I just did 100 of my songs to check, and the MP3s sound
> IDENTICAL to
> the AACs (I even managed to get them going in sync-- identical)

It all depends on the quality of the original encode and what you are
playing them through (in terms of analogue audio equipment).

I haven't done any tests yet, but I have it on good authority that if
you listen to AAC vs mp3 of a similar file size side by side the AAC
wins hands down.

--
Tarik Bilgin
Opalblue