[OT] Music...

Christopher Murphy chris at fallt.com
Wed Apr 30 02:56:40 PDT 2003

Dear All,

We're starting to get +way+ off topic with the music service issue as it's
not technically TiSpecific, but I'm finding it interesting and the number of
posts seem to suggest others do to.

Re.

<I think apple's service would be great if it included more obscure titles
off smaller labels.>

I run a 'smaller label', our work to date has been critically acclaimed and
we get +a lot+ of very high profile press coverage in the music press. I
contacted Apple two days ago to offer them our back catalogue of music to
distribute - for free.

We've always given away our .mp3s, surviving on the stream (steady trickle)
of money that comes through selling well designed releases. We have no
intention of moving to a paid for .mp3 situation, as we appreciate the fact
that the general public can experience the music we foster without the
worry of having to pay for it.

It might sound idealistic, but this broadens the appeal of the type of
experimental music we are doing our best to champion and we have very heavy
traffic at our site as a result. Anyway, as yet I haven't heard from Apple,
but I strongly suspect I won't.

The majors ('big five') and the so-called independents under their wings
survive (some would say thrive) on a very tightly controlled system of
licensing and publishing rights, etc. Smaller labels, more often than not,
are heading in completely the opposite direction. Often doing what
they're doing for love not money.

>From long experience, large corporations (like Apple) have a very difficult
time understanding, let alone negotiating with, love not money companies so
I doubt we'll see anything other than mostly mainstream releases on Apple's
service. I do hope though that I'm wrong.

Take care,

Christopher

http://www.fallt.com  |  info at fallt.com