[Ti] [OT] Applemusic.com - is the price right?

b galahad9 at earthlink.net
Wed Apr 30 07:20:47 PDT 2003

XXL paused, thought it over, and spoke thusly:

>Shawn king opined:
>
>>  Don't count on it. I bet the major labels won't let the Independents play in
>>  their sandbox.
>
>Why not?  The more selection the more customer traffic there will be, and
>customer traffic is good for everyone in the mall, whether brink-and-mortar
>or digital.
>-Joel

Joel,

You sound like a very reasonable, fair guy, which is why you'll never
make in Hollywood with that attitude. You see, in Hollywood success
means nothing unless your enemies [the competition] fail miserably,
and, when things are really great, they just blow their brains out at
the beach house in Malibu... that's Success.. Hollywood-style.

The Majors don't bribe everyone from the local KKK Radio guy up to
the Justice Department just so some idealistic weisenheimer can come
along and sell meaningful art... noooo, that won't cut it.

If I wanted to sell music, I'd grab all the independents, give away
the entire catalogue as 128 bit mp3s, and then SELL a 256k mp3 AND
ship a custom CD with artwork to the folks who'd 'evaluated the
freebies. Call it Free Music.com  Get guys like Prince, and every
garage band, Cubase maniac, Don Henley, the chick from the old velvet
underground [Hi Mo], and a zillion other 'real' acts involved. Do it
as a non-profit, split the salaries and the web hosting/shipping off,
and funnel the cash to the artists. A 'benefit' live and 'streamed'
each month to pay for the T3s or whatever, and bob's yer uncle.

~flipper
The 'poor' major labels would 'catch up' with the Stock market in no time.  :=)