[OT] Music

Da Pen macstonelson at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 30 10:20:34 PDT 2003

Chris stated the following:

"From long experience, large corporations (like Apple)
have a very difficult time understanding, let alone
negotiating with, love not money companies so I doubt
we'll see anything other than mostly mainstream
releases on Apple's service. I do hope though that I'm
wrong."

My response:

Very interesting point.  But I do think Apple
understands the 'love.'  IMHO, Apple markets and
utilizes the 'love' to maintain it's cadre of many
devotees in order to remain a large corporation.  They
almost seem to exist on this basis alone (for
instance, why else, after so many years of pretty damn
good design, are we settling for the troubles
associated with poorer, very expensive hardware,
poorer customer service, and the new OS
aggravations?).  The only thing we had to get mad
about was that Apple would cut off at the knees a
great style or form factor.  Apple ought certainly
attempt, in an arena that evokes so much passion as
music does, to utilize it to their benefit.  Really
now, most of the media creator-types are ensconced in
many niche arenas (your so called 'love' markets) -
AND are highly devoted Apple fans.  In this instance,
Apple doesn't have much to do in order to make it
available - there are no R&D or content creation costs
to worry about.  Someone else does the serious work.

I say to Apple, go for the 'love' too!

My 2 cents, but I'd pay 45.

Adios, Dave